Use these spelling words and journal writing prompt to help your students better understand Earth Day. These can be used as part of a thematic unit to support a day of Earth Day learning. Find extra Earth Day lesson plans in the links/resources section at the bottom of the article.
Spelling Word List
1. Earth Day
11. natural resources
13. air quality
Earth Day Journal Writing Prompts
1. Think about all of the products your family uses in a typical day. If your family recycles, what are some of the typical items that you recycle? Do you do it all of the time? If your family does not recycle, would you like to? What are some of the items you use on a daily basis that can be recycled?
2. Do you think trees are important? Think of all of the ways trees are beneficial to the Earth. Remember to think about what live inside of a tree and what tress give us (food, shade) when writing your answer. Does your house have any trees? If so, what steps can be taken to ensure your trees last a long time (think about a tree’s needs including trimming dead branches, keeping free from harmful pests, ect.).
3. Think about all of the forms of renewable energy available (solar, wind, hydro, geothermal). Based on the climate where you live, which one or ones of these types of renewable energy sources would work best? Do you think in the future one of these forms of renewable energy will be used? If so, would you use it to help power or heat your home?
4. If you could design your own r house using alternative forms of renewable energy, how would you power each element of your house (heating, cooling, electricity, vehicle, etc.)? Do you think this will be likely become the house of the future? If so, when do you think this futuristic house will be available to purchase?
5. What are some of the ways you can celebrate and honor some of the traditions of Earth Day in your own home? Do you think having a yearly Earth Day will cause you to be reminded each year to help save the planet? Would you like to do something new to save the planet as part of your Earth Day tradition each year? What do you think this year’s contribution on your part could be?