April Fool’s Day can be fun or foolish or horrifying. I believe, however, that it should be fun for you as well as the person you want to “fool.” So enjoy this easy recipe and a few tips on how to make the day a pleasant one for everyone.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Surprise
2 slices of bread, lightly toasted if possible
Grape Jelly (or your favorite flavor)
1 Gummy Worm candy
Basic Instructions: Make a PBJ sandwich, sliced in two with a gummy worm on one side. Your kid will giggle when he/she bites into it and pulls it out of the sandwich. So silly! So tasty! So delightful!
1. After you’ve lightly toasted your two slices of bread, put jelly on one side slice.
2. Put peanut butter on the other slice on one side (preferably the side that reflects the other slice).
3. Place the Gummy Worm candy in and “S” shape on only one side of the peanut butter side so that it sticks.
4. Complete the sandwich by placing the jelly slice on the peanut butter slice making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a gummy worm in it.
5. Slice the sandwich in two, making sure you do not slice the worm.
6. Wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in your child’s lunch box. Your child will get a kick out of it.
– For any basic April Fool’s Recipe, think about what would be “scary” to see in your food, and then think of a way to make it look that way with food. For example, if you want your spaghetti to look like it has worms in it, you can slice the peel of an apple, carrot, or even a cucumber and then use a paring knife to cut the peel in very thin “strings” of peel. Throw it in and watch the reactions!
– If you are serving something sweet such as pudding or fresh fruit, marshmallow’s, apples, or even red licorice can be sliced just as thin and thrown into the mix. It will have the same “worm” effect.
– Another fun “trick” is to take a piece of licorice (any color), and, using a paring knife, slice the edges to make it look like a spider or a similar bug with several “legs on each side attached to a “whole” middle. Then place it in an ice box. Then freeze so that your “spider/bug” ends up in a frozen iced cube. Your family will freak when they see it in their glass!
– If you really want to be silly, grab a down pillow and cut a small hole in it – just enough to get out some of the feathers – and then don’t forget to sew it back up. Then make an outstanding Chicken or Duck Dinner and somehow hide the feathers close to the chicken like under a sauce dish, the plate, or even the napkin. Your family will be amused (unless they are vegetarians!) when they move something and feathers come flying out!
– If you really want to be funny in a sick sort of way, cook your significant other a nice piece of meat, chicken or steak. Then use an ice pick to wedge your way into the middle of it. Then squirt ketchup into the hole. Wipe the sides well and press the edges so that the hole is not noticeable. You will definitely see a reaction when your significant other cuts into the meat only to find a red sauce that is unexpected! Of course, this would be in poor taste if your significant other is a vegetarian.
I hope, whatever you do, you have fun with it and you get a sweet chuckle from your “victim.” Good luck!