Due to the economic decline, statistics show that fishing has become very popular due to its affordability and time consuming nature. Although some fisherman are naturals, and others aren’t, there are 5 essential products that every trout fisherman (or woman) should own to start off this fantastic hobby.
1. A fishing license. They usually run about $17 if you order it online from your fish and game department, or maybe a couple of dollars in price difference if you purchase from a local fishing store. Every state has different laws, and you should be updated on them if you are going to go out fishing. Carrying your license with you will protect you if you make that big catch. In Florida, you can find more information at http://myfwc.com/License/Index.htm.
2. The most efficient way to catch trout, especially in a river, is with a fly fishing rod. Fly fishing is incredibly calming and will help your fishing abilities thrive and grow. You should start out with a relatively inexpensive, but good quality fly fishing rod– Shakespeare rods are an affordable brand to start with as you can pick up a rod and reel combo for about $35, less if you find a good sale. The rods are very sturdy to hook the largest fish and the reels are well manufactured to last for a long time. You can find a great one at http://stores.channeladvisor.com/harleerod/items/item.aspx?itemid=7776.
3. Lures are an inexpensive way to catch trout as you can keep using them over and over. There are a few great lures to use when seeking trout, especially trout flies. The trout flies are considered the easiest way to deceive a trout, as they look realistic and float on top of the water. You can always see your lure which takes the guess work out of fishing.
4. If you’re looking for an array of tackle, you can also try a minimal investment in some bait and hooks, as well. As far as using human food, it is suggested attaching things like marshmallows, cereal or kernels of corn to a treble hook (which is a 3 pronged hook that run about $1 for a pack of 3). You can also purchase prescented and manufactured trout dough, which can cost $4 – $20 depending on the brand. These are specifically scented and textured to catch trout. Live bait is the priciest option because it requires re-investments. Insects are very effective, like grasshoppers and crickets, and can be attached to smaller hooks (sizes 6 to 10), and fly fished or bobber fished.
5. Wading boots are an important asset to your fly fishing experience when trout fishing. Usually you will stand on the bank of the river or in the water close to the bank, and to make the experience more enjoyable, some wading boots will keep you from getting soaked. You can find them for about $30 on ebay or at fishing shops, and they’re generally a whole cover-all that will keep you dry.
If you’re in the market for a new hobby or looking for affordable ways to start up trout fishing, these will be the best bets to get you going. You can purchase all of the essentials for about $100, that including the rod and reel, the license, boots and a bit of tackle, and as you start reeling the fish in, you can easily expand your inventory of bait, tackle, lures and much more.