Arthritis is painful. William C. Sheil, Jr., MD, FACP, FACR states that arthritis is a joint disorder caused by inflammation which leads to joint pain. This usually occurs where two bones meet (such as the knee or elbow). Joint inflammation and pain ranges from simple “wear and tear” (osteoarthritis) to an over active immune system (rheumatoid arthritis). Currently there are over a hundred different types of arthritis and the numbers are growing. Currently there is no cure (www.medicinenet.com/arthritis/article.htm).
Medications only relieve the pain, but do not cure it. But they are not the only way to help relieve pain. There are seven foods that can help relieve the pain. It should be noted that these foods do not cure, they will make the joints healthier. According to Fight Arthritis: 10 Foods that Help and Hurt by Dorothy Foltz-Gray of Life Script at www.lifescript.com, those foods include:
1. Fatty Fish: Fish such as salmon are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. This fatty acid helps decrease the production of chemicals that spread inflammation. Also other foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids such as walnuts and soy beans can also help reduce inflammation.
2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This seems to be the new wonder food as it can help with almost any illness and arthritis is no acceptation. Olive oil contains a natural chemical called oleocanthal which is an anti-inflammatory agent which block enzymes that cause pain in the joints.
3. Sweet peppers, Citrus and Vitamin C rich foods: These foods help protect collagen which is the main building component in joint cartilage. If there is too little of Vitamin C in a person’s diet, they run a higher risk of rheumatoid arthritis.
4. Brazil Nuts: These nuts contain the chemical selenium which helps produce anti-oxidants which clear out free radicals.
5. Onions and Leeks: Another anti-oxidant rich food. These foods contain the natural chemical quercetin, which acts much like aspirin in relieving pain.
6. Tart Cherries: A wonderful summer treat, but this little fruit is rich is anthocyanin which gives the fruit its bright red color, but also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent in the body.
7. Green Tea: Yet another new wonder food on the market, from soothing one’s nerves to weight loss, green tea also contains the antioxidant EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate). EGCG helps lower the production of chemicals in the body which cause inflammation.
The article itself shows the exact amounts that should be consumed to help relieve the joint pain and is well worth the read. But as always, when starting something new, be it food or medication, always check with your physician before starting.