Whether you’re heading off to an oceanfront soiree or hitting the beach for some fun in the sun, you’ll need a pair of stylish sandals to complement your summer look. Summer 2009’s top trends in the sandal department include gladiator heels, wedge platforms and the classic espadrilles.
You can sport a pair of sandals with crop pants, a summer dress or even with a pair of jeans during the cooler evenings. Here are the top trends in sandals to heat up your look for Summer 2009:
1. Gladiator Sandals. Gladiator sandals are a hit for summer 2009 fashion trends, and you’ll find them in both simple ankle wrap styles, and in a wrap that goes all the way up to the knees. Find your best match by trying a pair in metallic gold or silver, or sticking with the “traditional” brown and black leather for your head-turning look. The gladiator sandal is a fashion forward look of the season, and works best with a simple ensemble or a short summer dress.
2. Espadrilles. It’s a summer must-have that will dress up any skirt or pair of shorts this season. The key to wearing espadrilles that complement your outfit is to choose the right wrap length. If you have long legs, feel free to wear espadrilles that tie all the way up to the calf. If you’re not blessed with model-like gams, stick with the ankle-wrap ties so that your legs appear longer in the heel.
3. Canvas wedge heels. Canvas is another top trend for summer 2009 that won’t be disappearing any time soon. You don’t have to stick with a pair of khaki or beige-colored canvas heels either; this is the season to pick up bold, candy-colored hues including pink, green, blue, turquoise and yellow. Wedge heels are a comfortable and practical way to add some much-needed height, so pick up a pair to complement linen pants, a neutral-colored dress and other simple summer basics.
4. Snakeskin sandals. If you want to dress things up for a special event, snakeskin or exotic skins are the way to go. Summer 2009 shoe trends include a slew of snakeskin, python and alligator skin criss-cross sandals. You can find the in both high heels and flats this season, and they’re a great way to liven up any simple outfit.
5. Embellished stilettos. IF you’re not afraid to teeter on a pair of stiletto heels this season, pick up some opulent, over-the-top embellished heels covered with glistening beads, metallic accents or studs. Criss-cross straps and ankle wrap styles are your best bet for summer 2009, and you can easily turn these into the focal point of your outfit.
Whether you’re showing off your tan in a summer dress or staying cool in a pair of linen pants, you’ll need a pair of stylish sandals to round out your look. Pick out any of these top trends from the summer 2009 shoe rack for a fresh, fun and flirty look this season.