Whether you just had a baby through the AIM Program or you lost your job and have children from age 0-18 living in your household, there may be help for you to receive health insurance benefits for your children. Healthy Families is a low cost insurance program that provides health care as well as dental and vision coverage to children who do not have insurance and do not qualify for the no-cost Medi-Cal.
Healthy Families has many benefits for children which include, hospital care when medically necessary, doctors care, surgeons, prescription drugs, well child services, family planning, mental health care, alcohol and drug treatment service, physical, speech and occupational therapy, lab and X-rays, dental and eye care.
You may qualify if you meet the following requirements.
1) Your children live in California, ages 0 – 18 up to their 19th birthday (if you live out of state, you can still apply if your children are living in California).
2) Your children are without Employer health insurance in the last three months.
3) Your children are not eligible or not enrolled in the no-cost Medi-Cal.
4) Your children must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. citizen national (non U.S. citizen) or a qualified immigrant.
5) Your children were born to mothers in the AIM Program.
6) Your children in your family fall within the Healthy Families guidelines.
Healthy Families month premium is low. You pay a premium payment each month depending on your family’s income level. It can cost from $6 to $17 per child and no more than $51 for all children that are eligible in the family. There may sometimes be a co-payment of $5 when you go to the doctor or other services and the maximum co-payment for the entire family will not exceed $250 per year.
The monthly premium is based on the number of family members you have and the net family income, which is after the deductions are made from the gross income. To see if you qualify, fill out the Pre-Qualification Assessment form at http://www.healthy-families.us/Application.aspx and you can submit it online. Someone will contact you within the next business day after you submit your online form. Healthy Families will inform you with a letter within 10 business days after receiving your application if your children are eligible.
It is great to know we have programs out there to protect our children. Thanks to the Healthy Families program, we can have some weight lifted off our shoulders financially.