If you are a new manager or an experienced manager you will always be looking for new ways and ideas to improve your management style or technique, here are a few things to consider, remember and perhaps even use to become an even better manager.
1. Be an effective communicator and be a people person at all levels, talk to people and treat people equally, even if someone is in a lower position than you it does not mean you have to talk to them as if they are lower than you.
2. Handle stress, your own stress, the businesses stress and your staff/employees stress. Take on their work problems and stress and help them find solutions and work things out.
3. Start networking more, both externally and internally to your position. Meet new people and contacts, find out what your employees and staff want.
4. Show leadership but don’t rub it in people’s faces. Being a successful leader or manager is all about give and take, work together with those around you.
5. Practice your negotiation skills, be it negotiating with staff, suppliers or customers, practice and work on your negotiation skills to be a more effective communicator and more efficient/effective leader/manager.
6. Review both yours and your staffs/employees performance, try to do this on a regular basis, and when reviewing don’t just highlight the negatives.
7. Be a good listener; listen to your employees and in return they will listen to you.
8. Manage your time better, get yourself even more organized and efficient so that if problems occur throughout the day you have spare time/energy to deal with them as and when they arise, be prepared for every eventuality.
9. Don’t burn any bridges with your staff/employees. Remember that they need you as much as you need them.
10. Be willing to change and adapt. The key to being a better and more successful leader or manager is having the ability and willingness to change, be open to other people’s suggestions, from your bosses to your staff/employees.
11. Be influential. Remember that others are looking up to you and probably watching your every move, so don’t do anything you wouldn’t like others to do.
12. Make, set and achieve goals and targets, both on a personal level and professional level. Setting and achieving set goals and targets will help your confidence and the confidence others have in you
13. Be a team player. The way to be an effective and successful manager is to be a team leader, don’t just lead and expect others to follow, instead work with others, and work as part of a team to get the results and success your strive for.
I hope you have found this article both helpful and useful. Good luck I wish you every success