Areyou eligible for Food Stamps?
Food Stamps are great for people who need help to afford more food for their families and themselves. Food stamps are no longer in paper coupon form. Food Stamps can be on a credit card system (EBT). Most places that accept Food Stamps are grocery stores, major supermarkets and some other stores.
Requirements for eligibility:
Houses that are eligible have less than $2,000 dollars in assets. If you are a home owner the value of your home does not count towards your assets. If you are on SSI or TANF you are automatically eligible for Food Stamps, so apply!
What Documentation is needed to Apply?
1. Social Security for all people that live under your roof
2. I.D. this includes birth certificate, drivers license and any other proof of identification
3. Mortgage statements, if you have a home, or lease agreements if you rent a home/apartment
4. Utility bills: gas, electric, heating, cooling, phone bills, and internet/cable
5. Bank statements are need if you or someone in the household is over 60 years of age
6. Alien card, proof of immigrant status, childcare expenses
Where Do I Apply?
If you go to Google and type in Food Stamps and the name of your state it will pull you up to the department that you need to go to the sign up. Most states have the same requirements for eligibility i.e. an individual must live in that particular state, must be a U.S. citizen/qualified noncitizen, cooperates with child support reinforcement, and holds 2,000 dollars worth of assets (not including the home).
What you can’t buy with Food Stamps
1. Hot foods
2. Alcoholic beverages and tobacco
3. Food that can be eaten in the store that you purchased it from
6. Pet foods
7. Paper products
8. Household cleaning supplies
10. Non-food items
Food Stamps are nothing to be ashamed about. If you are someone that needs help buying food, or you have children that go on a few meals a day you could be eligible for this. Don’t make your children suffer over your pride. Now days everyone needs a little help with the economic downfall. A new president isn’t the only person that is going to make changes, you as a person need to start making changes as well because nobody is going to come and hold you hand through it. If you need Food Stamps please apply for them.
Good luck! I hope this has been an insightful look into Food Stamp eligibility.