Every time I make this I hear a choir of hungry eaters asking for seconds or guests asking for the recipe. It is one of my most loved dishes. I too enjoy it and love to improve upon it each time I make it.
Things You’ll Need:
- 2 cups chopped chicken breast
- 400 grams rotini pasta
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 oz butter
- 1/2 medium sized onion finely chopped.
- 1/2 cup green peppers (chopped in cubes)
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp pure lemon juice
- 2 cups mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cubes of chicken flavor bouillon
- large pan
- wooden spoon
- 3 quarts corning-ware casserole dish/ large baking pan
Step 1: In a large pan over medium-low heat melt 4 oz butter. Add 2 tablespoons flour and stir for 1 minute.
Step 2: Then add finely chopped onions to pan a saute for approximately 5 minutes
Step 3: Now add 2 cups milk, 1 cup half and half, 2 chicken flavor bouillon cubes, 1 tablespoon of pure lemon and a teaspoon of salt. Then stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Continue to stir constantly until the sauce boils and thickens.
Step 4: Let it simmer for 2 minutes and then add chopped chicken breast to sauce (before mixing with the pasta). Allow the finely chopped chicken breast to cook in the sauce for approximately 8-10 minutes or until it thickens once more.
Step 5: Cook rotini pasta following directions on the package. After the pasta has cooked, pour off hot water and set aside.
Step 6: Then add 3/4 cup mushrooms, 2 cups mixed vegetables and 1/2 cup green peppers. Let it continue simmer for approximately 3-5 minutes.
Step 7: Now, combine rotini pasta to the chicken sauce mixture and stir until the sauce covers the pasta completely.
Step 8: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. This should take approximately 5 minutes.
Step 9: Finally transfer mixture to a deep baking pan or 3 quart square corning-ware casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top of the rotini pasta mixture.
Step 10: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the creamy sauce begins to bubble. This should serve 5 to 6. Bonne appetite!
Tips & Warnings
- 1. Mayonnaise can be a good substitute for sour cream. However that depends on your taste.
- 2. Bread crumbs are also optional in combination with cheese or by itself.
- 3. Elbow macaroni are also a great substitute for rotini pasta.
- 4. Stir mixture constantly.
- 5. Do not over cook vegetables.