Ice Road Truckers is all about daredevil risks and adventures of the truck drivers, being active in spite of difficulties and in danger.
The notable characters on the first season of the Ice Road Truckers, who were very brave and adventurous, are as follows:
1. Hugh Rowland : Hugh Rowland is from Kelowna in Southern British Columbia. He is 50 years old and is known as ‘The Polar Bear’ by the Ice Road Trucking community. Hugh has got 4 trucks, out of which two are driven and operated by ice road rookies Todd White and Drew Sherwood, the other one by Rick Yemm who is his employee and friend and the other one is operated by Hugh himself. Hugh’s truck is called as “The Crow’s Nest”.
2. Rick Yemm : Rick Yemm is also from Kelowna and is a friend and employee of Hugh Rowland. This tattooed trucker was the first trucker on the ice road in 2006. As an ice road trucker, during season 1, Rick was in his second year. He has quit driving the Ice Road as he felt that the sound of cracking ice is troubling him a lot, but later on he continued. But he finally returned home feeling that his friend Hugh Rowland was not properly maintaining the trucks.
3. Alex Debogorski : As an ice road trucker, Alex was in his 26th year in 2007. At the beginning of every season, he used to pull the first load over the ice roads. He is a resident for a year in Yellowknife, who has got 11 children and 7 grand children. He left in season 2 as he was suffering from pulmonary embolism.
4. Jay Westgard : Jay was known by the Ice Road community as the most talented driver as he excels in hauling over sized loads. He is the trusted truck driver in case of in case of delivering some demanding loads like the 48-ton ore scrubber which is huge. Most veterans would turn down the job of hauling vital jet fuel to remote Deline as they think that the trip is risky, but Jay likes to take that job.
5. T.J. Tilcox : Tilcox is 21 year old ice road rookie who likes driving on the ice road to get experience. When he saw an advertisement about ice road trucking in a news paper, he decided to try. On his first run, Tilcox met with an accident before hitting the ice road in his new truck. After this accident, he was injured while tying down a load and later on experienced several abdominal pain but was able to complete the entire season which is very rare for a rookie.
6. Drew Sherwood : Though Drew Sherwood is an ice road rookie but he is an veteran truck driver. After seeing an advertisement in a local newspaper he joined in Hugh Rowland’s team. Unfortunately, he started facing many problems like he was stuck in a ditch, abandons a load due to problems with his truck’s on-board computer etc. The truck owner Hugh Rowland considers Drew as an arrogant rookie truck driver. Hugh and his mechanic Lee Parkenson blamed many of the truck’s mechanical problems on Drew. With all this Drew decided to leave the ice roads.
7. Tom Tweed : Tom is the dispatcher for Tli Cho Landtran in Yellowknife.
8. Rick Fitch : For over 20 years, Rick has been working on the ice roads and through out the series he is seen as responding to the accidents. Rick schedules client loads and is the project manager for Tli Cho Landtran.
9. Ken Murray : On the ice road, Secure Check is the organization which is responsible for security and rules enforcement. Ken is an officer in this organization. Some of the rules on the ice road are:
1. Five-day suspension for first-time speeding ticket.
2. Ban for the rest of the season when the driver exceeds speed.
3. A fine of several hundred dollars for the driver if his truck is overweight.
4. Truck weights are always checked so that they do not over-stress the ice.
10. Lee Parkinson : Lee is the busiest mechanic in the north and operates a garage in Yellowknife.
11. Todd White : After seeing an advertisement placed by Hugh, Todd responded to that advertisement and was hired. To repair his own truck, Todd needs $20,000. For that reason he returned to ice road trucking after a seven year absence from it. Due to speeding violation, he was banned from ice road trucking. Though Todd appealed, his appeal was denied and he left.
12. Danny Reese : Hugh hired Danny after Drew’s departure. But Danny faced problems with the truck’s turbo which were similar to those experienced by Drew with this truck.
13. Neil McDougall : Neil is the Safety and Compliance Supervisor with Tli Cho Landtran. His responsibility is to hire all the drivers and trucks for the winter road, make sure that the rules are not violated, monitor the drivers on the road, etc.