Have you ever had a day when you wake up and just mope around your house, or even at your office? You just feel ‘blah’, and can’t seem to get rid of it? Well, I have some tips that can help you fight off the blahs and it doesn’t cost a thing. No need for expensive shopping trips or masseuse bills; just easy ways to get the blahs off your back and a smile back on your face.
– Open a window. When you open a window, it not only brings in the sunlight, it helps bring in the fresh air from outside. Many of us get so used to our fluorescent lighting and canned air that we forget there is a beautiful world outside. While you are at the window, open your blinds or curtains to let the sun and air in. Take a deep breath and enjoy the simple things in life.
– Turn off the television. The TV is a great invention and there are many wonderful shows on now-a-days, but how do you feel when your shows are done? Tired or even more down? I have noticed in my house that an easy two hours fly by when I get home from work because we are all watching TV, instead of each other. Sure, some shows are educational, and some really make us laugh, but what happens when the TV is turned off and the room is quiet? Do you feel strange? Well, next time you are feeling blue, turn off the TV and get up off the couch or comfy chair and do something. Heck, maybe open a window? Or clean the kitchen? Play with the kids or dog?
– Rearrange your furniture. This one I know very well, and it indeed works. (Just don’t do what I did as a teen… rearrange my bedroom furniture at 3:00am and annoy my parents.)Believe it or not, just switching a chair to a different spot in the room or changing the pictures on the walls or shelves will give you a new outlook on your day, or even, your week.
– Light a candle or spray the room with your favorite air freshener or perfume. (Just not near the candle!) Pick one that has lifted your mood before. You can also spray your curtains so when the breeze blows through, you get a nice pick-me-up!
– Take your pet for a walk. Yes, I am aware that when you are feeling ‘blah’, you are not dressed to impress, but I don’t think your four-legged best friend cares if you have curlers in your hair or hair on your legs. Go outside and smell the freshly mowed grasses, or the falling leaves, or even the fresh snow. Getting out in the sunlight not only warms your body, but it will warm your spirits, too. Now, if you are like me, and enjoy the crickets, then when the sun goes down, open your window and enjoy the sounds. I love the smells and sounds of the very early morning. (Especially going fishing!)
– Turn up the radio. I am a music person, so when I am having a case of the blahs, I turn on my favorite radio station or CD and crank up the volume. Who cares if you are singing at the top of your lungs to Panama (Van Halen) and can’t even keep it in tune? So what if the broom is now leading the dance? Crank up the music and make yourself feel better. The better you feel, the better everyone around you feels. It is just like smiling- it is contagious! So break out your classics, you know the ones from high school that used to make your head spin, and turn up the volume. All the dancing and singing is a nice physical activity that will wake up your muscles and send instant energy to your mind and soul!
– Plant a vegetable garden. Gardening is an easy way to get rid of the blahs. If you have a black thumb, like I used to, then start with something simple. Pumpkins are very easy to grow. You can start from seeds or even go to your local nursery and get an established plant. There are many different types of veggies, and from experience, pumpkins are the easiest for me to grow. It not only gets you out of the house, it makes you feel better because you are helping something grow. If you have kids, it will be a lesson for them, too. How fun will it be to have your very own pumpkin patch in your back yard? I have done it for a few years now, and it definitely takes the blues away.
– Take the kids to the park. Yes, when you are feeling blah, just getting up and then the thought of going outside is just horrible, but think of the benefits. Some days I am way too tired or blue to even think about dragging myself outside, but once I see the glee in my son’s face as we are bike riding to his favorite park, I feel a lot better. Then I feel the wind in my face and the sunshine on my back. Bye bye blues!
– Take a shower or bath. Many people tell me that they get the best ideas in the shower. No one really knows if it is the solitude, (no kids or spouse fighting for your attention), the aromatics of your favorite body wash, or if it is the hot steam that clears the mind, but it does work. While you are sudsing up your hair, think about what makes you happy. Is it hanging freshly laundered baby clothes on an outdoor clothesline, or maybe just holding that cooing baby, or even sitting on the porch with a good book and a cup of tea? My Mom always told me that if I was in a bad mood that I should get cleaned up, that it would help. You know, she was right! It works every time for me… how about you?