It is imperative for the Intelligent Warrior to understand when an actual physical substance is affecting their psychophysical balance. The following is a list of some of the most common:
1. Hangovers. These tend to generate negative thoughts and feelings. Remind yourself that you are feeling and thinking this way because of a chemical imbalance brought about by the ingestion of alcohol.
2. Comedowns from harder drugs. These usually generate more intense negative thoughts and feelings than hangovers do. If you are a hard-drug user then familiarize yourself with the ‘comedown pattern’ of any drug that you use on a regular basis. This will allow your mind to combat any paranoia and depression by again understanding that it is a chemical imbalance that is creating the negative emotional states and will give you confidence in your body’s miraculous ability to rebalance itself.
3. Getting hungry. The expression of our negative emotions is held
in check by a certain amount of energy. When this energy depletes, such as when we get hungry, there is a tendency for us to express these negative emotions.
4. Getting tired. This is very similar to being hungry.
5. Lack of natural sunlight. The sun provides us with the most vital energy that we need so if we are deprived of it then lethargy and depression will soon follow.
6. The consumption of refined sugar. Unbelievably, refined sugar is one of the most dangerous drugs in society. Because it is highly addictive and has a severe impact on your body’s blood-sugar levels (balance), it can create very bad emotional habits, especially in children. Get rid of it as much as possible from your diet, read some literature on its effects and protect your children from it.
7. Smoking. I will not bore you with the usual facts about how bad smoking is; however, even when people know the devastating effects that smoking has on our health they do not stop smoking (Incidentally, most cigarettes are cured with a form of sugar to make them more addictive.) Smoking severely depletes Chi levels by disrupting the body’s CO2IO2 balance, which in turn severely impairs the body’s ability to heal itself and lays it open to attack from negative thoughts and emotional states (this is also due to the part of the brain that is affected by smoking).
Your awareness and presence are your most powerful tools against negative states triggered by chemical imbalances in the body and if you familiarize yourself with the types of things that throw yourself out of balance then you will be able to lessen their impact on your general homeostasis.