There is nothing quite like a fresh, warm chocolate croissant.
If you crave chocolate croissants but there isn’t a bakery nearby, try this chocolate Panini sweet treat. With low-fat choices, this chocolate concoction is a heart healthy and satisfying substitute for chocolate croissants. Whatever method you choose, this treat will satisfy the most urgent chocolate cravings.
After trial, error and delicious chocolate failures, I developed 2 versions of a grilled chocolate Panini type sandwich. These sandwiches satisfy chocolate cravings without sacrificing heart health. The first recipe is the more complicated preparation. The other is a quick fix, ‘just gotta have some chocolate now’ version. Try them both and see which you prefer.
I’ve listed my favorite ingredients in italics, but substitutions can easily be made to incorporate your preferred chocolate, buttery spread, bread, etc.
Grilled Chocolate Panini – Version 1
1/8 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1.5 ounces chopped dark chocolate
(Green & Black’s Organic Dark Chocolate, 85% minimum cocoa content)
1 tablespoons buttery spread
(Smart Balance or Benecol)
4 slices whole-wheat or white bread
(Food For Life’s Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread)
2 tablespoons chopped nuts (optional)
(I use walnuts because of the healthy omega-3 fatty acids)
– Heat evaporated milk, careful not to boil.
– Add chopped dark chocolate and allow it to gently melt into hot milk, do not stir.
– After about a minute, fold mixture until smooth and let cool.
– Divide chocolate mixture in half and spread between 2 slices of bread.
– If using, press nuts into chocolate spread and close the chocolate sandwich with the other slice of bread.
– You should now have 2 chocolate sandwiches.
– Spread butter substitute on the outside of both sandwiches.
– Grill the chocolate sandwiches in a skillet over medium heat until brown and crispy.
– Flip the sandwich and press to flatten.
– Continue grilling until the chocolate sandwich is brown on both sides and the chocolate is completely melted.
– Serve warm.
Grilled Chocolate Panini – Version 2
Prepare exactly the same as above except substitute 2 tablespoons of prepared chocolate spread for the evaporated milk and chopped dark chocolate mixture.
(Nutella is fine but my favorite is Fat Free, Fruit Sweetened, Wax Orchards Fudge Fantasy)
Simply spread the prepared chocolate between 2 slices of bread, butter the chocolate sandwiches and grill.
Granted, this is the healthy distant cousin of a true Parisian chocolate croissant. But hey – we’re still talking about warm bread, chocolate and butter. What could be better? N’est-ce pas?
More about food from this contributor:
Delicious Homemade Granola Recipe
New and Healthy Thanksgiving Side Dish: Quinoa Recipe
Monster Eye Dessert Recipes for Halloween
Leftover Chocolate Easter Bunny Haiku Trio