South Carolina has more to offer tourists than just a sandy beach at Myrtle Beach and the historic downtown streets of Charleston. For your next short family getaway why not try out Greenville, South Carolina? It has something for everyone in the family.
Downtown Greenville has over 100 retail options and 90 local restaurants. Due to a family wedding just outside Greenville, my entire extended family loaded the clown cars and did our part for the economy by driving fourteen hours for a chance to adventure around the historic city.
If it were up to my five-year old niece, she would inarguably state her favorite thing to do while in Greenville was shopping downtown the tree-lined streets and window shopped among the varied shopping venues.
Okay, so maybe the stores did not entertain either my non-shopping enthusiast husband or niece but they were busy birds nonetheless. This undivided attention is due to the “Mice on Main”, a bronze mice scavenger hunt introduced by resident Jimmy Ryan. Inspired by the children’s book, “Goodnight Moon” these darling mice were sculpted by a local sculptor named Zan Wells.
Walking around the downtown streets, children will have fun searching for the scattered mice. These little creatures are placed on staircases, alongside building corners, under statues and so on.
To help you along the way, all the city retailers give you nine hints to help you on your search. The search hints that were written and given to us by retailers are:
1. Where the water springs above the ground, Marvin on his book can be found.
2. Marvin’s wife Maggie is across the street keeping cars off the sidewalk- a tricky feat!
3. Marvin Jr. is too young to drink morning brew; still he tries to sneak in before he hears “shoo!”
4. Marvin and Maggie’s son Marcley, with a northern view, watches crowds at Piazza Bergamo, as many folks do.
5. Marcley’s twin sister Millie is the hardest to see; from her high-tech roost, she watches crossers with glee.
6. Little brother Mitch gets ready to run into a “money garden” to have some fun.
7. Mitch’s twin sis Melissa is healthy and strong; with vitamins and veggies, she can’t go wrong.
8. Maggie’s sister Mifflin is on the corner by a bank. (It’s the oldest one downtown, to be quiet frank.)
9. At an Italian restaurant, right near a rain spout, Uncle Miles (Mifflin’s husband) is just hanging out.
Although we could not find Marcley (mouse #5), we were very entertained and had a blast while walking through the streets of Greenville, South Carolina. After our daily adventure, we went back to the hotel and showed off the mice photos – everyone around us were enticed to go on an adventure hunt also. The “Mice on Main” is a wonderful attraction however the scavenger is not well known to tourist or locals. It is a great afternoon with the family or just alone. It is completely free to walk the streets and entertain for hours!