Dire Straits is an all time favorite band of mine. This British rock group formed in the 1970’s and went on for many decades. They have a cool and groovy sound that captured rock radio airplay in the 70’s, the 80’s, the 90’s and far beyond that. Here are my top 10 best Dire Straits songs. These songs are my personal favorite classic rock Dire Straits songs. There is no category for this great band. They are unique! That sound is what makes them so special and so unforgettable!
1. Sultans Of Swing. This is the very first Dire Straits rock song that I ever heard. I will never forget it, either. This song had such a mellow, yet powerful guitar sound and that blended in spectacularly with the vocals. This song is smooth, rocking, grooving and it tells a fantastic story. About a fantastic band. Mark Knopfler, lead vocals and guitar, his younger brother David Knopfler, rhythm guitar player and vocals, along with John Illsley, bass guitar and vocals and the drummer Pick Withers. What a talented band. What a sound. When I first heard this song, I believed that there were about seven guitar players in this band. No. Just a whole lot of talented musicians! Their sound is bigger than life! This song is on the first Dire Straits debut. Please forgive me about band members names, as this band has had many talented members! It was hard to keep up.
2. Six Blade Knife. This song is also on the Dire Straits first debut. This is a powerful and moody song that has a tough attitude and a rocking beat. The sound effects are very cool and very ahead of their time, in my opinion. It is a must hear for Dire Straits fans!
3. Skateaway. The third Dire Straits record release was ” Making Movies ” and to this very day, this wonderful 80’s rock album/CD is a personal Dire Straits favorite of mine. Skateaway was and is a brilliant rock song. It has groove and it has meaning. ” She’s making movies on location, she don’t know what it means ” are lyrics that captivated me and told a vivid rock story at a personal level. It lights on how music, movies and our personal lives all interconnect. This is a very cool song.
4. Expresso Love. This song is also on the Making Movies CD. It is a perky, fun and wonderful rock journey to take. It is even better than an expresso, in my opinion! This song rocks and it is also passionate and very romantic.
5. Hand In Hand. This song is on the Making Movies CD and it is a beautiful love song that will pull at your heartstrings! It tells about all that a love should be and the story of trying. ” Hand in hand, like lovers are supposed to be ” says it all and says it so well. Bravo! This song makes an 80’s rock music fan proud. Be sure and hear it for yourself. You will love. Especially, if you are a romantic soul!
6. Money For Nothing. This great Dire Straits song was an MTV video favorite, featuring the artist and singer Sting, from the rock group The Police singing back up. Sting sang ” I want my MTV ” with such passion and flair. This is a creative and fun rocking Dire Straits song that took them to fame. This song’s sound is very original and groundbreaking. It is also timeless, as I still hear this song being played on classic rock stations. This song is on the Brothers In Arms CD. This song is an 80’s rock music classic favorite!
7. Walk Of Life. This delightful and cheerful Dire Straits song is great! It is happy, it is rocking and the music video released for this song shows baseball as we love to remember it! Actually, this song is a classic of it’s own. I have yet to hear a rock song that can compare to the fun and joy of Walk Of Life.
8. Romeo And Juliet. This lovely song is on the Making Movies CD and let me tell you, it is a work of art, in my opinion. The heartfelt lyrics and beautiful sound of this song will always be appreciated by me and never forgotten. In fact, Princess Di and Jon Bon Jovi were fans of this band and loved their unique sound!
9. Solid Rock. This song does indeed rock and it is solid. It has a great 80’s rock band sound that only Dire straits could deliver. Their way. This song reminds me of a reality check. I love it. This song is on the Making Movies CD.
10. Tunnel Of Love. I saved this song for last. It is a rock journey through the tunnel of love and it brings reality and love face to face. The sounds in this classic 80’s rock song are hard to describe. They are beautiful, passionate and unique. Any Dire Straits fan will appreciate this song. It is a work of art and more endearing every time that you hear it!
These are my top 10 best songs by Dire Straits. These songs are my personal favorites. What a band and what a sound. They say that Dire Straits dissolved quietly in 1995. I still hear this very talented band’s music being played on local rock music stations. That is a blessing.