If you’re an avid beauty connoisseur, check out these top ten makeup trends for Fall 2009. This season focuses on bold color and dramatic looks that will truly make you stand out from the crowd.
1. Smokey Eyes– This fall, you’ll be seeing a lot of intensity that focuses on the eyes. Smokey eyes can be made more sultry with different shades of grays and black kohls. For a look that’s less hard, try layers of gray shadow without eye liner or mascara.
Recommendation:L’Oréal Paris HIP Metallic Shadow Duo in Platinum ($8 at www.drugstore.com)
2.Kohl-rimmed Eyes– Kohl-rimmed eyes will also be a popular beauty trend for Fall 2009. This look is not as bold as “smoky eyes”, but it still makes your eyes pop. Lining the eyes with black eyeliner with light smudging gives an edgy, punk feel.
Recommendation: Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner in Black ($7.49 at Walgreens)
3. Dramatic lashes– Something about long, dramatic lashes makes a woman feel especially sexy and seductive. This fall, bold and vivid lashes are back with a force. A trick for perfectly mascara’ed lashes is to move your mascara brush in an upward zigzag motion to prevent clumping and even out the color.
Recommendation Revlon Lash Fantasy ($8.99 at www.drugstore.com)
4. Bold Lipcolor– As retro as it sounds, this season’s Fashion Week was not short of bold lipcolors in grays, golds, and even blacks. This look is much more androgynous, intense, and a bit somber. The lack of bright colors and feminine pinks reflects on a more reminiscent time.
Recommendation: Covergirl Queen Collection in Black Currant ($6.21 at www.drugstore.com)
5.Red Lips– On the polar opposite end of the previous Fall 2009 trend, is the comeback of the bold red lips reminiscent of the 20’s flapper era. People equate this movement by paralleling the beauty trends of the Great Depression with our current recession. When we’re all pinching pennies, a red tube of lipstick is enough to get you through the day.
Recommendation Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Love That Red ($7.99 at Walgreens)
6. High Definition Makeup– We live in a technologically driven world, which means everyday our lives (and pores!) are put under the lens- digital cameras, webcams, camera phones, the list goes on. A popular beauty trend for Fall 2009 is going towards high definition makeup which makes your face look flawless like the actors on the big screen. The trick to wearing makeup is to make it look like you have none on at all which is what this makeup truly does.
Recommendation: Smashbox Cosmetics ($38 foundation at www.smashbox.com)
7.Natural Eye Brows– We’re in a recession, people! Can we really afford those weekly brow waxings or threadings we’ve become so accustomed to? Probably not. The trend for this fall is to go back to the basics and have a more natural look. Maintaining a full and natural look is easy and less high maintenance. But still, be sure to pluck in between the eyes!
Recommendation: Tweezerman Tweezers in assorted designs ($20 at Walgreens)
8. Retro Looks– A repetitive trend from the Fall 2009 previews was the comeback of the funky 80’s styles reminiscent of Madonna (a la Desperately Seeking Susan). Big hair, ankle warmers, and fishnets were accompanied by bold bright colors on the eyes in swooping fashion. Will you make blue eyeshadow your new favorite choice?
Recommendation: Blue Heaven or Blue Icing shades – ($23 each at Sephora.com.)
9. Rosy Cheeks- Wearing a light hue of color on the cheeks give you a healthy look this Fall 2009. It can brighten up your eyes and bring together your whole look.
Recommendation: Max Factor Color Genius Blush in Roses ($10 at Walgreens)
10. Contoured Cheeks– Whenever fall rolls around, its nice to have a nice contoured effect on your cheeks if you don’t have a natural chiseled look. Especially if you’re not fortunate enough to have a bronze tan on your visage, contouring your cheeks will give your face a slimmer and radiant look.
Recommendation: Orgasm by NARS ($25 at Sephora.com)