Austin, Texas is famous for its music scene so it is no wonder this city is rich in record stores. There are many different record stores in Austin, Texas that specialize in commercial artists as well as local artists. If you are looking for live recordings, rare items, vintage recordings or the latest releases, record stores in Austin, Texas are sure to have them. Below are the Top ten record stores in Austin, Texas so you can easily find what you are looking for.
1. Waterloo Records has been voted “Best Record Store” by the Austin Chronicle since it opened in 1991. This is a pretty big feat with all the established record stores in Austin Texas. They stock a huge selection of music and you can always preview the material before purchasing it. You can visit the store for promotions and live performances or buy online.
2. Antone’s Record Shop has been in business since 1987 and specializes in local artists, blues, R &B and jazz. If you are looking for rare items in those genres, this is the place to look first.
3. Backspin Records sells vinyl for the purists and DJ’s who prefer old fashioned records. Collectors of music will also appreciate the vast selection of music found here. They carry all genres but specialize in dance and hip hop.
4. Cheapo Discs has a selection of new and used CD’s available. While they do carry some vinyl, they specialize in CD’s. You can bring your CD’s in for trade or cash and search through a variety of different genres.
5. End of an Ear is the perfect record store in Austin if you are looking for an eclectic selection of music. If it is obscure, you will find it here. Independent labels, experimental music and hard to find genres are its specialty.
6. Friends of Sound concentrates on vinyl records in a variety of genres. This record store in Austin Texas is well known for its selection of new and used records. They have hip hop, jazz, blues and avant garde music available. You can buy in store and online via their eBay auctions.
7. Out of the Past Collectibles is a great venue to buy, sell and trade CDs, vinyl and music related collectibles. This is one of the best record stores in Austin, Texas to find local musicians.
8. Sound on Sound was voted “Best New In-Store Store” in 2004. This store carries both vinyl and CDs and has a taste for the edgier genres. You can purchase both new and used music and sell or trade in your old records.
9. Although it is a chain store, the Austin Texas record store location of CD Warehouse is quite beneficial for those looking for new and used CDs. This store will give you plenty of options for new releases and popular genres. If you have more mainstream taste in music, you can’t go wrong with CD Warehouse.
10. Half Price Books does not sell just books but movies, records and CDs. They purchase used records at premium prices and carry a selection of used music. If you are looking for a bargain, this is a great place to shop. They have a small selection of new music but concentrate on used material.