In the second season of Ice Road Truckers, the ice road is from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk. Alex, Drew, Rick and Hugh were treated as “highway maggots” which means rookies on this ice road as they have to know the new rules and conditions in this season.
Here is the list of the top 5 Ice Road Truckers season 2 episodes
1. The World Crumbles :
On September 7, 2008 this episode was premiered. There were still tons of equipment to be delivered within 12 hours on the final day of the season. Some of the highlights of this episode are:
1. Rick takes a chance to take his last load in Inuvik. This load has to be stored until next year in Tuktoyaktuk. Though Rick does not know how to run a winch, he tries to drive the loader up and onto his trailer by building an improvised ramp out of boards. Irritated by this, Rick’s supervisor felt that Rick lacks professionalism and fires him.
2. Bear takes a camp shack as his last load at Langley and takes it to Inuvik.
3. Drew heads home after delivering a couch and a load of groceries to Aklavik.
4. For navigating the hazards successfully, Devon leaves with a great respect from the senior truckers after bringing a camp shack back to Inuvik.
5. Hugh and Eric rivalry continues as they go ahead toward Langley. Though Eric is slowed down by whiteout, he picks up some storage containers and rig mats and heads back to Inuvik.
6. Hugh empties the load in Inuvik and out to drain the last full tank.
7. Though Eric and Hugh plans to pull two loads, Eric could not pick up his second load as the load officially closes, placing Hugh at the top of the load count.
8. The final load counts for each driver are: Alex – 22, Bear – 63, Drew – 9, Eric – 67, Hugh – 68, Rick – 51
2. Man vs. Ice
After the natural deposits are found at Langley, the next step is to move all the equipment out before the ice melts. Hugh and Devon are asked to help with the job and hence were dispatched from Inuvik. The main highlights of this episode are:
1. Devon Neff, a rookie makes his first ice road run. After taking two fuel diesel tanks, Devon stops to save his load as he was alerted to a severe water flow on the road. Later on he proceeds slowly
2. Hugh picks of large spools of cable and a load of rig mats. Because of the slick and wet road and due to unstable load, Hugh finds it difficult to keep traction.
3. Both Hugh and Devon safely make it back to Inuvik.
4. Bear from the Arctic star picks up a camp shack and hauls back to Inuvik.
5. Eric picks up a camp shack from Langley and hauls back to Inuvik.
6. A million-dollar off-road vehicle which is the most expensive load of season 2 is taken by Rick. He has to take this load 30 miles up the road to the 2D natural gas exploration site. After returning to Tuktoyaktuk, he was idle for the rest of the day as his truck was taken to the shop for repairs.
7. Doug expresses his worry about the truck handling and rough driving habits of Rick.
8. In one day, Hugh completes two runs trying to lead in the load count.
3. Hundred Ton Haul
From Aput to Langley, the derrick is moved successfully. But the crew members has to place 80-ton substructure in place. So Alex and Bear were assigned to split the equipment into two 40-ton loads. The highlights of this episode are:
1. As Alex was suffering from health problems like shortness of breath, fatigue etc, Bear was sent first and Alex was hold back for a while by Jerry. Their trucks were loaded with a combined weight of over 100 tons. Alex’s is the heaviest load of his career. To avoid over stress on the ice, both truckers must stay below 25m/h and after reaching Langley, the substructure halves must be unload by Alex and Eric in the right position.
2. After returning to Aput late in the say, though Alex picks up a load of crates and rig mats, because of his health problems, Jerry holds Alex for the night.
3. After driving to Aput, though Eric was ready to work on the rig move, he was diverted to pick up a bulldozer which was struck on the ice. Finally he loads the bulldozer on to his trailer and takes it to Wurmlinger and then heads for Aput.
4. Hugh offloads sewage at Langley from Inuvik.
5. Rick brings a load of garbage from Tuktoyaktuk to Inuvik.
4. Mechanical Mayhem
This episode was aired on June 15, 2008. The highlights of this episode include:
1. Drew finds work which is driving a forklift then a box truck in a local moving company instead of going home.
A job of hauling vacuum truck to Mallik which is much-needed was assigned to Eric. Though there were threatens to ruin the plan like the emergency repairs etc, but he leaves in time.
2. A load of classified equipment is returned to Inuvik by Rick. The load is from a Cold War-era military post. While taking some truck parts to Tuktoyaktuk, Rick stops on the ice road and figures out that there is a loss of engine oil due to a hole which cannot be repaired. So to get back to work, he has to wait for a new pan to be flown.
3. Alex takes a a load to Tuktoyaktuk.
4. A load of rig mats is carried by Bear to Mallik.
5. Hugh hauls a boiler to Mallik. After a night’s work, Hugh takes up the work of carrying a vacuum tanker to the ice-locked barge Wurmlinger which is the for ice road crews and research work.
6. Though Drew and Rick become ill, Rick continues with his driving while Drew calls in sick.
5. Lost on the Ice
In this episode, once the storm ends and the road is cleared and opened, the equipment has to be hauled from Aput to Langley. The drivers get ready to get back to work. The Derrick was broken down to pieces to save the time. The main highlights include:
1. The entire unit of Derrick is loaded on two trucks and is hooked back to back. To these two truckers, the oncoming traffic was warned to yield the right of way. The derrick arrives safely.
2. To a new site, Eric hauls a cherry picker.
3. Due to its weight distribution, an electric power station was taken carefully to Langley by Bear.
4. With no load to take, Hugh is put onto miscellaneous work.
5. From Inuvik Alex is dispatched to Aput. He takes a wrong turn as the route was unfamiliar to him. With six hours overdue, he finds out that he made a mistake.
6. Rick takes a load of garbage to Inuvik, but he refuses to get out of his truck and help as he is not happy.