If you are planning to get married this summer or next and are in the market for a uniquely beautiful wedding dress, but have a far from unlimited budget, do not despair, you lovely bride-to-be. It is very possible to acquire a beautiful summer wedding dress for under $500, under $300, even under $100.
A wonderful source for wedding shopping for both your gorgeous dress and a plethora of pretty wedding accessories is etsy.com, ‘Your place to buy and sell all things handmade’. Simply use the handy search bar near the top of the etsy home page to type in ‘Summer Wedding Dress’ or a comparable phrase and let your blissful browsing begin. Detailed below are five of the splendiferous choices I encountered when I performed just such a wedding dress search. The first two wedding dress options are vintage delights; the next three are designer original handmade gowns.
A vintage dress for your special summer wedding celebration might be an exceptional choice to complement a ‘green’ wedding, an environmentally friendly wedding, or a wedding celebration for which you would like to go against the grain of the consumer-frenzy driven behemoth of the traditional wedding industry. If you would rather not buy into all of that hoopla, then what a pretty notion to make new use of an old dress-and of course, a vintage wedding dress can still be ever so lovely and distinctive.
1. The Yummy Sailor etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6395324) is just swimming with wonderful ‘Vintage and Reproduction Clothing’, including a ‘Beautiful Vintage Wedding Dress with Veil’ for $250. According to the item description, “This gorgeous wedding dress was custom made for the bride over 20 years ago. It is made of a luxurious matte satin fabric and Venice lace. A small but perky bustle adorns the back of the dress. The bodice has a delightful little trim which accents the lovely lines of the dress. Pretty little Venice lace appliqués adorn the full tulle skirt. The veil is exquisite! Covered in faux pearls and streams of appliquéd tulle, it is the perfect finish piece for this lovely dress.” This dress would fit a size 6-8 and offers a stunning cross between traditional wedding beauty and ephemeral fairy tale bohemia.
2. If you’re in the mood for something less traditionally pretty and more whimsically bohemian, then you might want to take a gander at the Ashley Grace Vintage etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6344760), brimming with a plethora of distinctive attire, including a gorgeously summery ‘Boheim Wedding Dress’ for a mere $80. According to the item description, “If you are getting married on a hill top or you vision your wedding with an outdoor earthy theme, this is your dress. Dress has a swirl of lace design going round the lower half. Princess sleeves done in sheer material. Lace on end of sleeves and neck line. V neck line and you can wear this dress off the shoulders if you like. Three layers on the dress-the first one is sheer, the second one is satin, and the third is a crinoline skirt.” This dress would best fit a size 6 and would probably make her feel like spinning around in the sunlight in carefree glee.
If you fancy the idea of looking vintage-esque, but would prefer to do so in a NEW dress of your extra-special very own, then consider the Edwardian finery represented by the next shop on the list.
3. The Le Belle Fairy etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5657940) specializes in ‘Corsetry, Special Occasion, Weddings, Burlesque’ and offers a stunning assortment of custom-designed gowns with an ultra-glamorous Renaissance Faire style flavor, such as the ‘Blue Danube-Edwardian Style Fancy gown’ for $99-the ‘Dreamboat Annie Original Draped Edwardian Lace Dress’ for $125-and the ‘Edwardian Style Vintage Lace Slip Dress’ for $140. This shop also offers naughty Victorian style knickers and custom corsets (perhaps for your honeymoon, wink wink).
For those summer brides-to-be who wish to flaunt a more contemporary design, you too can deck yourself out in style without breaking the bank.
4. The Zelaya online boutique (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6266164) features the simply lovely ‘leaf appliqué dress’ for $180 and allows buyers to specify the details of their custom design. According to the item description, “Handmade out of 100% raw, unbleached cotton, it comes in its natural color. It showcases leaf appliqués to add texture and a beautiful open back. It has an empire waist and adjustable string straps. It comes fully lined with a thinner raw cotton fabric, and is accented with a row of white buttons on the back. Perfect as a casual wedding dress, for any other casual or elegant events, or to just wear out. Available in XS, S, M, or L and in brown, black or natural color upon request.”
5. Last but not least on my list, the Amanda Archer Collection (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5614943) offers a variety of delectable made-to-order dresses that look like they just stepped off a haute couture runway. For a fresh, modern, and wonderfully unique glamour, consider her ‘Ivory or White Pleated Collar Dress’ for $195. This piece certainly looks distinctively gorgeous for a cotton dress and is even machine washable. Choose your own size, from extra small to extra large. You might want to browse this seller’s other wares, as well, to see if any other offerings better suit your personal style, special flair, and summer wedding vision.