Why is my plan failing? I never really asked this question ever before until yesterday when I realized my plan was almost failing.
In a flash, almost akin to divine inspiration, I got an instant answer to my question. I will get back to that soon enough, but a little background first. Most of my plans have failed in the past precisely because they were plans – well thought, well conceived, and quite in place. Those plans failed because I didn’t act on them. I didn’t act on them because I was not determined enough. I was not determined enough because I was not motivated enough. And they failed because I failed to act upon them.
The crucial question to ask therefore is why did I fail to act upon this plan. This was a resolution, a new year resolution infact: “I will write 50 articles for Associated Content”. We are already into July and I am stuck up with measely 6 articles, just as many as probably in January. But look at my bold plan of action at the time: I can write atleast an article or two every week; this is such an easy task, after all there is no entry barrier in AC; you can choose any topic dictated by your whims; the target looked really a cakewalk at the time. And come July, all the bravado, determination, and steps outlined for the plan have crumbled as the house of sand. What could have been smooth has turned into an insurmountable uphill task.
I reckon something is not tough or easy in its own. You make your task easy or tough. A plan is a plan. It can be good or bad plan, complete or incomplete plan, not tough ot easy plan because what is tough for Jack is easy for Jill.
A plan however works well or doesn’t work well. It works well if routinely performed. A plan of action before it becomes a routine is difficult, but once done routinely gets easy.
Now I come to the insight that swept my consciousness yesterday night. My plan lacked Inspiration. Inspiration comes from the source beyond you. Perspiration, I believe, is impossible without inspiration. The equation 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent no doubt holds good, but only when that one percent comes prior to 99 percent like the ballistic fuel that sets you in the right trajectory. The rest is plan, a routine. Take that 1 percent away, and you are sure to never take off.
When you find your trajectory, you don’t force yourself to act, you simply act by the force of habit routinely and perfunctorily.
Plans fail for lack of inspiration. The crucial factor in goal attainment is inspiration. It fuels you. It makes you restless till you find your right track, right trajectory. It doesn’t even need a plan. It thrusts a plan upon you, it gets you hooked to your goal. Inspiration comes first, the plan follows, the rest follows.
Now the crucial question is, how do you get inspired? Do you chase it? Or, does it come in a flash? Or, is it forced upon you? Look forward to my next article on that